Thursday 7 June 2007

What's in my refrigerator....


Coming soon to a garden near me......

Ah, yes, the yearly batch of lady bugs. We have a pretty good sized ant colony and their herd of aphids does a pretty good job on our garden. The solution? We could soak a square mile around our house with industrial poisons but 1) the neighbors refused consent and 2) just kidding, it's just not practical plus the ick factor of poisons. Instead we decided to get down and dirty with an army of lady bugs.

One more thing to note: despite our neighbors accusations, the state-wide infestation of Japanese lady-beetles was not our fault. :)

3 comments:

  1. It seems I have left you out of Ethan's invite to his party, so I'm leaving it on here for you. I don't know what your personal email is, and I still had your old blog name in my reel. So, please contact me. It's Sat. (during the sale), but will be a swashbuckling good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need lady bugs! Where do you get yours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Territorial Seed catalog has them, but the local nursery sells them for a 100% markup (I suspect they too order from Territorial or a similar source.) We bought local and they were at our house in 3 business days, most of not all were alive.

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.