Wednesday 13 June 2007

The hungry caterpillar

This evening I was weeding the perennial bed that I have terribly neglected this Spring. I was delighted to find a pumpkin plant! Heh. I threw out random seeds of various squash plants here and there and gave Lil'Bug some to "plant." I was examining it with dear husband to identify which yummy squash was going to grow and we found this lovely little caterpillar. I wanted to bring him in and feed him, but dear husband made a convincing argument for it to stay AND I'm not allowed to weed that bed anymore. I might have already removed its food source, which is not pumpkin. I know what kind this one is, do you?

3 comments:

  1. That looks like a Monarch caterpillar! They eat milkweed plants. I am so hoping to find some around here this summer too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! Think unfortunate thing is.....I found it on a pumpkin plant and I found it AFTER I had pulled up all the milkweed that was in near proximity. *sigh* We couldn't find her today so I am hoping she made it the 4 ft over to the plants I had not touched yet and maybe chrysalis-ed.

    We have made a promise to plant a 10 x 10 bed of nothing but milkweed when we get our farm.

    Oh my, if you think my blog is buggy now......just wait!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm.....there is a possibilty that this bug is too big to be a monarch. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.