Tuesday 6 September 2011

The Soccer Mom Metamorphosis

It is no secret to people and family who know us that Chad and I don't understand sports. Because we don't understand them, we don't enjoy watching them, so we don't go to games or watch them on television. I often get mixed up on team colours even for schools I attended. I had never seen tailgating before an episode of Monk I watched on Netflix.

When I was a kid though, I was really good at basketball. I even one a school tournament for free throw and attended the State tourney. I was 9. I also played soccer. I loved being goalie and I loved playing on the team. (I can still sink a good basket, usually surprising anyone watching, myself included.)

Then we moved to a different state and it was hard, with the transition I guess, to get me back into sports. The window for that was small I guess and I never got back in. I might have attended a few sports games here and there, but mostly to take pictures or socialize or just enjoy being outside. The game was never important to me.

Geeze Louise that was like 30 odd years ago.

My daughters want to be in sports. They like kicking a ball around. They like running. They love it all.

It is killing Blueberry Girl to not be out there with Lil'Bug's team, practicing and playing. She dramatically sulks the whole time and, if we are not looking, she bolts for the field. She was excited though to wear an orange shirt just like the team.
Kicking it old school, yo.
Just to think out loud though, the coach asked me after their first game, what I thought. I'll share with you these thoughts.


What I value most in my girls learning soccer:

  • I hope that they show care and concern for injured players, their own teammates and opposing players. If that means they miss a kick because they turned around to help someone up, that's ok with me. 
  • I hope they have fun, breathe good air, and run hard. 
  • I hope that they learn that some things have rules and when you choose to play a game, you play by those rules and inside the lines. I hope they remember that most things in life are just games like this, ones you choose to play. 
  • I hope that they make some friends. If they don't that's ok too.  
  • I also hope that they score some goals and block some too. If they don't it is not the end of the world to me, but it will be for them and that's why I care. 

So, basically I want my girls to have fun doing something they care about. I keep getting offhand remarks about how important sports are to the socialization of homeschooled children, as if it is not also beneficial to institutionalized children. So I just let those comments go because they are silly and don't matter in the end. Eventually people get to know my kids and our family, conflict and comebacks are not a good way to build relationships with people. That in itself is a good lesson that many adults I know still need to learn.

The game today was 3-3. Excellent. Lil'Bug blocked a goal and kicked the ball a few times. She also got dramatic when she was tired and bored/distracted sometimes too. It was her first game though, after only 3 practices. She also helped 2 kids who fell, one from the other team. So I think she played a really good game.

I need to look up what all the lines mean. The only ones I get are the outside border.

So, here's another thing. What is cheering etiquette? Lil'Bug told me not to cheer her name. She said the coach said it is distracting to the players. We should use the team name "Ball Hogs".  Also if everyone is cheering for a certain kid, yelling their name, do we join in? Chad says no way. I have no idea, but now I feel bad because I did.

Also, does this make me a soccer mom? Do I need special gear? Bumper stickers? Sunglasses? What's the secret code?

1 comment:

  1. LOL! I don't think that makes you a soccer mom until you yell out the coach...
    My husband and I were/are the same way with sports. Yeah, we'll go to the games but only if our kids are playing. We only go to the football games now because our daughter is in the marching band and we leave after half time. besides that, I'm mainly there to socialize with the other moms... No kids currently are in sports except for my daughter is in cross country... but they just run by themselves. That does count as a sport, right?

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.