Friday 14 May 2010

Raincloud on a Sunshine Day!

 I realized yesterday when confronted with a variation of an old cliche that my attitude is what my problem is lately.


It is all about point of view, perspective.... For example, my family and I can be described as such:

Pig farmers in podunk Iowa.....
or
Natural food pioneers who are raising heritage breed pork, apples, and heirloom vegetables.

Homeschoolers......you know the kind that that morning tv show really slammed.
or
Interest led learners who pursue education in a nontraditional, yet legal, method.


Me:
Teacher
or
Adjunct Professor at a local community college

Me:
Stay at home mom/housewife
or
Mother, household and farm manager, nutritionist (who happens to like bon bons.....perhaps to a fault)

Lil'Bug:
A sassy, ill tempered child who gets really bossy with other kids.
or
A spirited child with lots ideas to communicate, her own opinion, a HUGE imagination, and who is a natural leader.

I could keep going but retyping some of the negative things that have been said about us lately is kind of draining.


We lead the lives we choose to live, make happiness where we are or choose to throw it off. It doesn't matter that I don't teach in the field of my Master's degree (historic preservation), nor that I didn't end up a field rep in Chicago, nor that I left my career behind to raise my beautiful children. I chose every one of those options.


I chose to battle infertility, examine the food we eat and pursue better options. I chose to look for a farm. I chose this life. Nothing about this makes me unhappy. Yet, I find myself really being negative with my sister and others lately. I could chuck it up to my frustration with the blood tests for the pregnancy... we are on #5 now, each one negating the results of the previous and finding something different. But seriously, it is all me. My attitude. My spin on things. I was in fact this cranky at 11 weeks during my last pregnancy too....at least according to the blog archives. :)

So once again, I am trying to take these lemons and put a different spin on them, be grateful for what life has handed me and stop being so sour, so to say. I will be fighting the harsh words and spins on our reality as long as we continue to choose such an unconventional life...... I might as well make lemonade, kick back in the rocking chair, and breathe in the fresh country air. Keep living this amazing life and keep inviting people to share in our adventure.

1 comment:

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.