Wednesday 19 May 2010

Deserting the dessert menu....

List of to do's today that are mostly done:
Dump run, hive check, and gas tank fill.

Now we still have:
Back at home.....plant a few more rows and work on flower beds. I am starting to wish we had our own chipper so I can make non firewood worthy storm fall branches into landscaping mulch. As it is I think I will just rake up grass clippings. I have zinnia's to plant! WOO!

I think an all day outside is just what we need.

So that's what is on the menu. I got to thinking about something this week. Lots of people have been posting pictures of desserts or listing out meals with desserts. Now, I love me some sugar, but the problem with desserts is that I eat them. I eat all of them. No, I eat all of all of them. No one else here really cares for sweets except Blueberry and she will forgo dinner if she knows there will be dessert.  I eat less of the good stuff too. Gobble gobble like cookie monster. Ice cream would last longer melting on the counter than in my presence. I love me some sugar.

Solution: I don't plan for desserts. I don't make them. We might have a before bed snack but it is cheese or meat or fruit. Hardly dessert menu worthy. So when we have a special occasion, the dessert really is special. Cake is not a common occurrence here. I've only ever made brownies once in my entire life and have not made them again because I would EAT them all nom nom nom nom.

I wonder when dessert became such a huge part of American daily life. You know?

Just my thoughts for the day.....

4 comments:

  1. I love me some sugar too and we rarely have dessert for the same reason. When I do bake, we call it a snack since it's devoured before the meal. And you've really only make brownies once??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unless you count Jiffy mix box brownies....yes. Just once. I used our very first eggs from the chickens AND the recipe used NUTELLA. They were divine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anything made with Nutella is worth trying. I don't do a lot of desserts since having to deal with diabetes in the family. We are being more careful about what we eat now, or at least making an effort.

    I remember as a kid only having dessert on Friday and Saturday nights and then we could choose between a small dish of icecream or half a bottle of pop. Cake was only for celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have fits of "OMGSUGARRRR!" between bouts of "Eh, you go on without me." so I completely understand the NOM NOM NOM of the situation.
    Have you considered trying out things like applesauce cake, or maybe a yeast sweet bread laced with honey? As a kid, much of my "dessert" choices were homemade, with honey substituted for sugar and used in lesser amounts, etc.
    I'm only NOW (at 35) finding out I prefer my jams and jellies to be made with fruit alone - no sugar - and that I really love my ice tea (my Precious...) to have so little sugar in it that everyone thinks I DON'T have sugar in it.
    Lately, my sweet sense is confined to Tuesdays, when Baskin-Robbins has their Dollar Scoop night. We go out as a family, get a scoop each, and feel like kids again. :)

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.