Sunday 16 May 2010

Farm Working Weekend

Dearest stepped on a nail. Luckily the bone stopped it. Right. He kept working outside until the pain was unbearable and THEN came in, ate dinner, and went back out. Sigh. Now he is upstairs after I cleaned the wound and he has ice on it.

Tomorrow we are going to the local birth center to interview and tour the facility. Hopefully, since we will already be there, I can convince him to at least get a Tetanus shot. It is one of the few shots we vax the girls with, because of this exact risk out here. There are nails, old tin, rusty barbed wire. I am quite certain that even I have had the T shot updated since we moved here. Poor Dearest. Not much to do for him tonight but bring him Coke on ice and ice in bags and pillows and hugs.

This weekend we also got the chicken house cleaned out and more of the garden fence up and the pond picnic area and house yard mowed. By we, I mean Dearest. I stayed inside and worked on my class set up and cleaned and did laundry. It also seemed like I gave the girls at least 6 baths each in the last 24 hours and they NEEDED each and every one. It is mud season in southern Iowa!

Monday we will tour the birth center and then come home, eat lunch, and sort toys. We are keeping only sentimental, well constructed, and age appropriate toys and only 2 bins worth at that. We have 8 bins of mostly happy meal type toys that have been in storage and not even missed for a year. We will do it together though. I don't intend on tossing/donating my daughters' things without their consent and cooperation. It will be tougher than if I just did it behind their backs, but that's like stealing in my book. These are their belongings and it will be a good exercise in charity. I hope. It is a good rainy day project and we'll haul the stuff to DM on Thursday to donate to a charity garage/yard sale. I have more clothes to bring too.

Summer classes start Monday. I hope the class load is not too much. We'll see.

That's the update. I'm trying hard to get back into blogging and not on facebook. So I am doing my facebook updates by twitter and blogger and not getting sucked in to the reality there. Social media is good for the farm, but not good for my family relationships. I have changed a lot of settings there too. I'm still hooked in, just not as present. We'll see how long it lasts or if it helps ease the drama. At least I am trying. :) My effort will be on being present for my family and friends and working on our farm. And yes, that should have always been my focus, sadly I became too distracted.

1 comment:

  1. Ouch on dearest and his injury.

    Nice thoughtfulness on toy gleaning, and remember to be gentle on yourself with media. You're human:)

    Create a great day,

    Pam

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.