Saturday 21 June 2008

Flushed Away

No, not a movie review. :)

My toilet (our only toilet), after years (yes, years) of being in various stages of usable disrepair is finally fixed.

Things that were wrong with it:
Lid to tank broken in three pieces (my fault, I dropped it, or something)
Floor bolts missing or not covered
Wooden seat splintered
and....drumroll.....the darn thing wouldn't stop flushing/running with out reaching hand into tank and fiddling with stuff. Yes, way beyond jiggling the handle. Reason why lid was on the floor behind the sink. Reason why I opted not to have unschooler craft day at my house post February- My heavily pregnant self did not want to run up and down the stairs after every single kid used the toilet, just to fix the flush. Gah.

Oh, and Method brand organic super safe lactic acid based toilet cleaner does not work very well. Let's just leave it at that.

What led up to fixing:

A couple days ago Lil'Bug woke up and declared her intentions not to use the toilet anymore. Why? Not a new baby regression thing, no. Simply because she was sick and tired of using a "broken" toilet. She was not going to pee or poop until Daddy got her a new one.

Um. Yeah. Crap.

I emailed Dearest.

Daddy came home from work with an armload of supplies and fixed the toilet. When I asked him, why, if he was able to fix the darn thing, it had gone for so many years broken.

"I wasn't in the mood."

?????

Also, he says that Lil'Bug's list was the most detailed inventory of the brokenness of said toilet whereas I just nagged at him to fix the vague things wrong with the toilet. That's fair. It is also fair to say that I wasn't in the mood to fix it either. I know how, I have the tools. I just didn't want to do it either and that takes a bit of steam from my nagging him to do it.

You have to have a sense of humor to restore and live in an old house like ours. Without such, one might go mad- though you have to be a bit loopy to do what we've been doing anyway so no one will notice. If anyone is interested, I could post story bits about our ten year battle with the haunted mansion.....

BTW:
I attacked the toilet with CLR this morning, and while the toilet is not quite sparking yet, it will be very soon.

5 comments:

  1. I respectfully submit that my side of the story was not fairly protrayed in the post above, and that creative license was employed to make the story funny at the expense of a certain hard working husband. I approve of this, nevertheless, I wish it to be known that this was the case.
    - A certain hard working husband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living in an old house myself, I'd love to hear about your "haunted mansion"

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol - Way to go! Our toilet has been "running" for years, also. Except we (bad environmentalists that we are) are too lazy to reach in and jiggle the innards as well as too lazy to fix it. Our water bill just keeps getting worse. One of these days I'll decide that I need to get off my butt and attack my poor water conservation habits, but right now it's too much work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Chad!! I think many husbands suffer for the creative descriptions we use on our blogs although I daresay my husband probably gets me back through creative storytelling at work.

    Glad to see that Lil'Bug is a girl who gets. things. done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very Funny! There's nothing like a preschooler refusing to use the toilet to motivate you! I hope she doesn't catch on to what a powerful tool that could be!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.