Sunday 10 November 2013

Iowa Blogger Meet Up

Saturday I got up before the rooster and ducks and silently loaded up the car with bacon and sausages and my laptop....and hit the road for Iowa City....alone (well, until I met up with Diana for carpool magic!).

I plugged in to cooking podcasts and enjoyed the sunrise as the frosted fields rolled on by.

I was terribly nervous. I had been invited to an Iowa Food Blogger meet up and meeting authors that I read regularly in person was something I was looking forward to. I also wanted to learn how to grow audience and make my blog more focused and readable. I needed feedback on my book in progress.

But I started thinking that I was going to hang out with the amazing people who have thousands of followers and huge audiences and published books and I very much did not belong. I blog because writing make me happy and it amuses me. I blog so my kids will have a written record of who I am and that I love them so much.

Anxiety.

Panic.

What was I worried about? I spent the day getting to know some of the most amazing voices emerging on the web right now. No one thought I was a big ol faker. No one demeaned mommy blogging. No one was rolling their eyes when someone brought up creating content or using social media to direct traffic. It was so nice.

Bonus is that Iowa City is gorgeous and just vibrates with creativity and memories. Love.

The day started at the New Pioneer Co-op.



Just gorgeous. A grocery store that cares about the food politics that I do. No dyes. No crap. No GMO's. Varieties of carrots. That's right VARIETIES OF CARROTS. They visit the farms they buy from and insist on living wages, fair trade LOCALLY. This is so amazing that if I could afford to, I would drive to Iowa City to do my grocery shopping. Not kidding.

Then we headed downtown and of course my phone/camera died. Sigh.

I bought a cool pair of shoes, watched my friends eat cupcakes (what? My blood sugar was making me dizzy so I opted not to sugar high so early in the day), and talked about trolls, blog stalkers, and Internet safety. Good company. Beautiful weather. So many memories flooded me, as place and sensory does with me. Iowa City was an escape for me as a teenager. I often drove out there overnight without my parents knowing and drove back in the morning. I didn't partake in typical teenager trouble, usually I walked around, met up with people for coffee, wrote poetry, and just enjoyed being where other writers were living and breathing.

I don't know why I didn't go there for college, but I am glad I ended up where I did instead. I forged my own path, as I do now.

The whole day got me thinking about what I am doing here with this blog. Should I change the focus and stop being all over the place? Should I claim I am a feminist farmer and forge ahead a new politic? Yeah. No.

I am still finding my voice. I am finding more and more that I am called to give words to the experiences that we share and tell the stories that others cannot and are afraid to.

Plus, I love sharing recipes.

So you get me. All of me. The whole hot mess and the kitchen sink.

Thank you for reading here. Thank you for sharing your experiences and laughing along with me as I share mine.

Here's the blog list of the fantastic and funny folks I met up with:
Simplify, Live, Love
Ally's Sweet and Savory
Been There, Baked That
Herbalist Eats
My Humble Kitchen
Chez Bonne Femme
Sawdust and Embryos
Iowa Food Blog
In the Kitchen with Jenny
Culinary Bliss
The Sustainable Couple 
Make the Best of Everything

and a few others I still need to look up and add....and will do once I get caught up with grading papers, laundry and dishes.


14 comments:

  1. You and I should have chatting when we arrived in the morning - I shared the same anxiety! Lots of BIG bloggers in attendance - what a great opportunity :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was the only one!

      Delete
    2. Not so! Great to meet you - and hopefully you were as oblivious to my jitters as I was to yours : )

      Delete
  2. I'm so disappointed I was unable to go darn car issues !!! I would have LOVED the co-op and the networking and making new friends. I have an idea where I want my blogs and FB pages to lead me....but I kind of put the cart before the horse. But I look forward to getting know everyone and learning LOTS !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but you are in Central Iowa, yes? Let's meet up on our own?

      Delete
    2. Absolutely !!! I live in Guthrie County but it's not THAT far from DSM really.......

      Delete
  3. Thanks for coming Danelle! It was great meeting you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for including me. It was really amazing.

      Delete
  4. I had a lot of fun at the event and enjoyed getting to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a great time and it was fabulous meeting you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make cheese, right? Trying to remember who is who now. Ha!

      Delete
  6. It was so fun meeting you, Danelle. Another blogging online English professor... be still my beating heart. :-) I want to come meet your piggies some day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a great day and a lot of fun meeting everyone who was there! Loved chatting with you before dinner about your farm. Cannot wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.