Thursday 12 September 2013

All Dressed Up

 We have one whole closet dedicated to dress up clothing. I pick up retired dance recital gowns, old prom dresses, post Halloween clearance rack, and odds and ends to round out accessories.

So much of my kids' play requires costuming. I am cool with that. I encourage it. I find that by having a broad range and attire they are more able to explore who they are inside themselves. It is also a gateway to many other things too, like history, sewing, theatre, social norms, and the like.

A day in the life of our homeschooling usually involves mud, costumes, cooking, reading, games, puzzles, sunshine, and jumping and dancing and spinning and swinging. These kids are at the can't sit still stage. I am so glad I can homeschool them so they are not confined to a chair or desk and can learn through play. Some kids learn best sitting still and focusing on one task, mine do not. Mine learn best on the go.


I also let them wear their costumes all year round, out and about. Especially to the grocery store. They get the attention they crave, act like princesses and princes (or pumpkins), and I get the shopping done. Win, win.






2 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about school desks! No wonder we have a burgeoning obesity epidemic, when we stick kids in desks all day starting at age 5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. My kids cannot sit still even for a meal, they wiggle in their seats, get up, wiggle some more, gesture a lot, laugh a lot, are loud, are happy, and generally very energetic. Because I let them get it out at home, when we go out to eat, usually they sit still and are very polite. They know when to sit and when to move.

    I wonder when I see disruptive children in eating places if their energy is pent up from daily confinement.

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.