Friday 17 December 2010

The Smells of the Holidays

There's no way to sweeten the ideal, we are pig farmers and have three rough and tumble kids under 7. That means I do a LOT of laundry and deal with a lot of really bad smells. Those of you with kids and or pigs probably know that the majority of these smells come from the kids!

But there is a catch, everyone in our house is allergic to commercial chemicals, deoderizers, and fragrances and it is a range of reactions, from severe skin blistering to headaches to sinus irritation. It is easy enough to switch to hyper allergenic clothes washing, pure soaps, and natural cleaners but what about getting smells out of unconventional places and what about pleasant scents?

My first step is always to clean, but that's not always enough.

To start with, white vinager is a great deoderizer. Works the same way that Febreeze does, it pickles the stink and kills the bacteria. I used to demonstrate Febreeze and had to study the product before hand. Basically the same idea. I add a little peppermint oil to the bottle so when it dries it smells minty fresh! My oldest daughter calls this Peppermint Pickle spray. I works as a first aid spray too (all be it a painful one) and a quick hand sanitizer. I use a mix of this as a rinse in my clothes washer too.

Then to make the house fragrant if company is coming I collect the orange/clementine peels and mostly eaten apples that are abundant this time of year at my house. Through the day the girls add them to a stove pot, I cover with water and add a cinnamon stick or two and simmer; add water as needed. Ta da! It adds humidity we need right now and smells amazing with no allergic reactions. I have also done this with just mint, but it is not as strong.

How do you combat stink at your house?

3 comments:

  1. I add orange oil to our homemade laundry soap and the vinegar/baking soda based surface cleaner that we use. Works great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam in Monroe, WA17 December 2010 at 13:31

    Great ideas! Thank you sooo much for sharing.

    We've discovered the wonders of vinegar and baking soda. Hadn't thought about the peppermint oil. Great addition that I will try, along with the simmering pot. Better than the cinnamon candle I light and fear kitty cats will knock over.

    Cheers,

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going to put a pot on to simmer right now. We just put lots of orange peals in the compost! Thanks for the ideas! And I just so happened to order some peppermint oil so I am going to add to my vinegar solution and see if I like that better than the other oils I have been using. Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.