Wednesday 28 July 2010

Some Simple Things I Do To Make Food More Nutritious

 Simple. I mean really simple. And the secret is chicken bone broth. Any time a savory recipe says add water, I add bone broth.

Wait...some of you may be asking, "What on earth is bone broth?" And once you find out some of you will be totally grossed out.


Chicken bone broth is like chicken stock, but simmered with veggies and a little vinegar acidity for 24 hours or more. The bones pretty much dissolve into the broth adding calcium and protein that is just so much more than just a 2 hour chicken stock. The nutrition is way different than plain stock too, as it has more minerals in it and if you use a lot of meat like I do, then there is more protein too, easily digestible protein at that.

Another thing I do is add vegetables when something calls for starch. Meatloaf needs crackers? Nah, how about pureed raw sweet potato? Throw in some steamed spinach to the tomato sauce, or even steamed Swiss chard.....I even add squash instead of flour to thicken pasta sauce sometimes. It's like taking the zucchini curse* in August to a whole new level.

Another thing we do is grow our own meat. We know what they eat. We don't raise beef yet but the beef we get is from someone I know and I know how their animals are cared for and fed. Simply choosing better fed animals to consume adds to the nutrition of our meals. Ah, maybe it is junk science, but the flavour is better and the meat cooks tender.....I feel awesome after eating it instead of sick. That's not junk science.

I can make quick work of smoothies from fresh milk and fruit from our own farm anytime my kiddos want a snack. Throw in some greens (even mint works here) and they get that extra bit of all the things that greens are good for.

I also make our own juice. Secret to making a natural wholesome kid juice that tastes JUST LIKE KOOLAID? Peach juice. I kid you not. The left over juice from canning peaches or even the syrup from the jar they are canned in, add some strawberries and BAM strawberry koolaid flavour. Weird. Sweeten with honey, cut with water and you have a juice that has no artificial dyes or unpronounceable preservatives that could even fool the neighbor kids. Makes great Popsicles too. Really. Peach juice.

These things are not hard to do. Way easier than driving to the store. Natural energy for the kids (both young and old).

*the zucchini curse where you have so many and can't give enough away and you might start adding it to everything from cake to soup to ice cream just to get in eaten and ease your guilt......is it just me?

SIMPLE LIVES THURSDAY!

7 comments:

  1. I have a question - I forgot about the chicken carcass I was soaking. I soaked it Monday night and its now Thursday, is it still safe to turn it into stock? I covered it in water and then I added some ACV (maybe 2 TBSP). If I bring it to a rapid boil for 20 minutes should I be good, or should I give up on this one and toss it?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I would toss it.

    Last week I made stock and then turned if off to cool. Fell asleep. It was still warm in the morning but warm in the bad food poisoning kind of way. Don't mess with chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah my gut says toss it. I meant to soak it overnight and turn it into stock the next day, but well that didn't happen. So out to the compost pile it goes.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you that it's much easier to make something at home than head to the store. It's a shift in mindset though, especially when you live 2 minutes from the store! Thanks for linking in to Simple Lives Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really nice list. I've been making some similar changes myself and finding that once you get into the routine it becomes second nature. Apricot juice works well, too, BTW (I canned up some apricots last year).

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Danelle, I love this! Peach juice?! I'm going to try this! I always feel odd throwing out the peach syrup after we're done, thanks for that lady and thank for linking up to Simple Lives Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you boil your carcasses on the stove for 24hrs? Or do you put it in a crock pot? I boil mine for several hours on the stove, but I haven't tried it for longer than 4hrs, I'd say.

    Also, do you 'can' your broth? Or, maybe a better question; how do you keep it for long term storage? Or don't you? I've been able to keep mine in the fridge for awhile, but that takes up room. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.