Sunday 11 November 2007

Those We Remember

When I was 11 I wrote a poem for my paternal grandfather Popo about his time served in the Navy in WW 2. He was on a ship approaching Pearl Harbor when the island was attacked. His captain decided to turn around and head for Australia, but the crew stood on deck and watched the whole thing shipside. He fought in most of the major pacific theatres after that, but watching Pearl harbor, knowing there was nothing they could do but sail away, was the story he always told us. Perhaps the only age appropriate war story. He kept my poem with all his photos of grandchildren and reminded me to be a great writer every time I talked on the phone with him. He really wanted me to write country western songs.

My maternal grandfather was not a vet, but during WW 2 he was conscripted to serve at a lumber camp in Washington State. He carried tiny books of poetry in his pockets. He was away from his family for over a year doing hard labor. He was a carpenter, a cabinetry guy, by trade. He also encouraged my writing but I did not know he so loved poetry until he left me all of those little books when he died.

Those two heroes have passed on, leaving a shimmering light in my fondest memories. The following still have stories to write:

My father served in Army during Vietnam, but never left stateside. He learned his trade through the Army. Though he served stateside, he never talked about it.

My cousin is a Naval Officer right now. He does something with submarines and has three young children at home. Many prayers to them right now.

My second cousin is re-enlisting in the Navy in January. He loves to travel. His family will miss him so.

I have various other relatives in various degrees of service right now, some of them with new babies and young children.

They are all serving by choice and with honor.

My husband's grandmother was in the Women's Corps in WW2 as well. I don't know much about her experience there, other than her picture is in a local museum. Over Christmas holiday I plan on asking her to interview with me so I can record it for our family history. She turns 85 this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.