Saturday 7 December 2013

Mercy in a Ziplock

Most of us are only a heartbeat away from the kind of poverty that is harsh and cruel and inescapable. None of us believe it to be true, but in my years working with poverty level students, living in an urban neighbourhood with economic diversity that ranged from the elitist antique dealers to the homeless veterans living in tents on the banks of the Des Moines River, and my own experience as a child in a family that used food stamps....I can tell you for sure, each of us is closer to the edge than we will ever realise or admit. Those already there work fiercely to hide it and survive and others just sink.

Having a medical needs child and not qualifying for any assistance and having crappy insurance can push a family to the edge of that.

Let me tell you about my own experience though. The shame of food stamps and free lunch was so great for me that I would skip lunch instead. From that experience I struck out at others, you should be ashamed and work harder to pay for your own food! I would not back down. Then as I grew into a mother and adult and nurtured students along, I realised that even food stamps were not enough to hoist them up and out. Cycle of poverty it was called officially. One student could not afford to renew her tags, so she kept driving to the job that would give her the paycheck to do so, but got pulled over for having expired tags, and now has a $350 dollar ticket that she can't afford either. $350 was also her rent for the month. Which does she pay? Once behind, never caught up.

I thought of her the next time I saw someone at a gas station trying to pay for gas and her card was declined. Her shame was palpable and her panic real. What happens next?

Does she stand outside and beg for the money? We live in an independent society and often have no one to call that can help.

A generous stranger stepped up and paid her bill. Smiled and said she'd been there too.

I wish I had been that stranger instead of a bystander.

But so often I would be a bystander and think, I wish I could help. I don't even carry cash. One day last Spring I was having a terrible week. Terrible. Someone posted a kind word on my facebook wall and much of my woe melted away. Kindness is powerful. Kindness heals. This is where we need to direct our hearts.

I set out to not be caught helpless when someone needed 5$ for gas or food. A friend was making Mercy Bags to send overseas to a 3rd world country, why not address the poverty and suffering of our neighbours. Why not make this mercy a part of our lives. Those of us who stand on solid ground, offering a hand up to those on the edge. If all we have is words, give that. If we have extra food, find out who needs it. Extra gloves, give them to someone who has cold hands. I don't mean bagging up your unwanted and dumping them at a charity, though that is good too, I mean looking your friend in the eye and saying, "I see your need. I want to help. You are loved and valued."

You could carry a Ziplock with a water bottle and granola bars, a 5$ gas card, or grocery store gift card, some candy, a simple note inside. Even a cup of coffee delivered to a new mom and left on her doorstep with a card can make the day better for someone. Think of the kindness you are capable of, write it down, and then DO. Take these bags of mercy out into your community, then be IN your community.

Here's my list that I hit hard when I get gloomy and overwhelmed and eye twitchy (like this week):
  1. Post on 10 friends' facebook or twitter feeds what is special about them to you. Maybe they have never heard you say it before, maybe you say it all the time, and maybe they need these words more than you will ever know.
  2. Bring a meal and coffee to a friend for no reason.
  3. Listen when someone starts to share what is on their heart.
  4. Fill a bag of groceries, good food that you would eat, then bring it to your local church and ask the pastor to pass it on to someone who needs it.
  5. Invite others into your home for meals. Send them home with leftovers. Especially on holidays when so many people are far from family and alone.
  6. Send cards to troops. They are missing folks back home. They are.
  7. Pay for the coffee of people in the drive up line in front of you. 
  8. Leave a gift card for groceries at the local food bank.
  9. Find out what your food bank needs that week. You may be surprised at what is on their shelves and it may break your heart.
  10. Carry 1$ gloves in your car. Give them away. You may be surprised how fast they go and how many people can't even afford that simple accessory. 
  11. BE KIND. When the secretary snaps at you, when the bank teller is bitchy, when your cousin says something hurtful- remember that it is probably not you. We all have battles we are fighting and most of the time hiding from others. Sometimes it bubbles over. Be the calm. Be the light. Be patient with those who need it the most. 
  12. Pay attention to people around you. Start seeing their suffering. Be the person that brings calm instead of adding to the pile. Even if you are just as broken, this effort will turn others to you as well. 
What things would you add? What will you do?  Share in the comments!

8 comments:

  1. Love your ideas! The kids and I have baked cookies for prisoners several times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^ Posted by Diana Clayton. :) ^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good ideas, indeed. #11 is one that can be so easily overlooked yet costs nothing to do. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I share those vouchers that come out of the till when I shop for groceries. I once got one for half price ready meals, and handed it to the next person in line as she had some in her shopping. Turned out the voucher reduced all of them, not just one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some lovely thoughts made all the more pertinent at this time of year. I have always found the idea of 'random acts of kindness' appealing but have struggled with the fear of embarrassment and rejection and the reaction I might receive. Reading posts like this always nudges me one step closer to allowing my compassion to win out over my fear and pride. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your ideas! Thanks for sharing and I think that all could be done by little old me, in the heart of nowhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing post and great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post Danelle. You've hit it right on the spot. I've been there when I go to the register to pay and my card is declined. It's awful. I love making meals for busy moms I know....they may not "need" that meal due to lack of cash, but they lack the time to put something nice together for their family. I figure if I'm making a big batch of something, the least I can do is pass on the extras.

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.