Wednesday 19 June 2013

Funky Snowman......


On of the fun things I was "forced" to do since I was teaching in person classes is recreate a wardrobe of appropriate outfits.

I have really struggled with this. One, I hate shopping. I hate shopping for clothes. I hate trying things on. I hate trying to try things on with three active kids. I hate wasting my time. I hate going to places where the clothes are ugly/trashy/expensive.

Yeah. I'm cool with a chunky sweater and a pair of jeans. Barefoot. Ponytail.

Still, my students won't take me seriously if I show up barefoot with cake batter smeared jeans. So I thought about what kind of professor I want to be. What we pretend to be, we can be closer to being?  I no longer have the worry of getting pregnant again. I'm shrinking post baby, not expanding. So......

I started with Boots.

Added some skirts.

More chunky sweaters.

Some funky jewels.

A few white shirts.

Done. Totally done.

And then about six weeks in I started wearing a pony tail, jeans, and chunky sweaters. I kept the boots. They are rockin'.

It turns out that students respond better to a professor that is comfortable in who she is. Especially for Women's History.  Still, I learned a lot about myself in this and it was fun. I have a closet full of really fun dresses and shoes and I started wearing earrings again.

And then.......I dyed my hair purple. Why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.