Thursday 31 May 2012

Running Ahead

Lately it feels like I have no time. No time for me or to blog or to even just sit down. Today I ran ahead of schedule all day and now I am sitting waiting for the last exchange of the day in a rainy parking lot with free wifi from the grocery store.

The rain is nice. The kids are sleeping. I have a big bottle of orange juice. We spent a good 2 hours today at the free Historical and Natural History Museum in Des Moines. I could spend all day in there. We came away with two things: the kids really like the exhibit on things doctors have removed from children's noses and they were sad to find out it is not on display right now. The second thing is that my kids really know their wild animals and birds.

The additional learning moment was when we saw the display on the white deer. I read the signage to them about how in 1987 a hunter killed one, there was controversy, and a law was passed outlawing the hunting of any wild white animals in Iowa. Lily's response? "Quick call dad! That means it is not actually open season on UNICORNS!"

We played a find it scavenger hunt in the Native American Art room.

We also decided that this museum is where we'll spend summer rainy park days. So cool to have this here and nearby and free. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.