Sunday 4 March 2012

Buying a farm, updated

When I was little I wanted to be the first to volunteer to colonize other planets. Yes, I am dissappointed that now I am older, the chance has passed me by. Even if they were to open up a space station on a moon tomorrow, I am a proven risky breeder and too old. Bah.

But the daily chores on our farm made me realize that we are still colonizing THIS planet. Yesterday, I decided that sheep chores in February in Iowa is like sheep chores on Hoth. I need better gear or I am going to end up frozen and stranded with no Han Solo to rescue me.

Then my friend Jenny asked me for advice about buying a farm.

So I pointed her to this post.

But you know what? There's more. More that I know now.

#1 advice: Go slow.

If you build all your fences first, without knowing what you will need, you'll regret it. Same thing applies to buildings and business. As you grow, you'll see with experience what you will actually need. If you buy all your stuff up front, you'll have a lot of waste.

If something is hard, go slower. Running faster will only wear you out and ruin your common sense. Work smarter.

That said, other issues that I learned along the way:

11 acres or more=ag tax. HUGE difference over residential property tax. HUGE.

5 miles or less from fire department= insurance cost is significantly cheaper than if you are 5+ miles away. Not only that, 5 miles is a long way when your house is on fire or your kid is stuck in a hole.

Water. If your well is contaminated it is annoying. When you use that water to water livestock? Yeah. Rural water is expensive to pipe in, but still reasonable for people water. EXPENSIVE to water your livestock with. Just saying, because that's what we do. Don't even ask me about the bill when someone left the hose on overnight. Sigh.

Septic. Composting toilets are nice and all, but most people want a regular flushing toilet and sewer pipes that don't freeze.

Meth labs. Just trust me and walk the woods and pastures thoroughly before you buy. Our place is meth lab free, but I saw a few farms that were not.

Old abandoned wells. Know where they are.

Sensitive crop registery. Iowa has one. If you plan on not having all your bees killed and your livestock covered in soybean bug spray chemical hell, then register your farm.


Be prepared for your neighbors to hate you. Especially if you are doing things organically or naturally. More so if you register as a sensitive crop. Double that if you end up shooting their dog that is killing your livestock (didn't happen to me, but my aunt said to add that bit.....).  

More to come.....

4 comments:

  1. OK, I'm liking this post. Can't wait for "more to come...."

    The 11 acre thing and the sensitive crop thing - are they Iowa specific?

    brenda from ar

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just googled sensitive crop registry for several other states and found state departments in each.

    I'm not sure about the 11 acre issue. The big part of that is Iowa 11 acres+ can be considered Agriculture land, and less than that defaults to residential. I have heard that folks with 6 acres have successfully claimed ag status, but they have to fight for it. That fight is made more difficult in a cluster of homes that is more like a suburb. Ag status means different things as far as what buildings you can have, and livestock as well. That, I think, is pretty standard state by state.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it boils down to: know your local rules and regulations.

    In BC, Canada farm taxes are lower than residential.
    Other things to consider are building permits etc.

    Lots of homework/footwork before buying land.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay...my husband and I have decided that we want to grow and raise our own food. Grew up in Virginia with farm relatives but being an urbanite...I am afraid that the fantasy of know what is in my gourmet food is clouding the reality. This has been a dream but wondering about what is better farm near ocean/river or somewhere with a creek..either way ...I am finding costs for land is pretty pricey...looking in montana and Eastern Shore Virginia

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.