Saturday 23 July 2011

Heat Wave......

Heat index will be and probably is as I am writing this in the 110-120 range here in Iowa this week.


My husband is prone to heat stroke. He's been hospitalized for it once (even if he claims it was food poisoning.....it wasn't). Still he insists on drinking soda in the heat or when he's doing hard labor or both. He's the smartest man I know except when it comes to this. Everytime I start to explain that soda pop actually leaches important minerals and couple that with the excreting of minerals through sweat and you got a whole mess of trouble.

If he won't listen to me say the words, at least I can document it here:

What is heat stroke? 

"How can dehydration be prevented?
Take precautionary measures to avoid the harmful effects of dehydration, including:
  • Drink plenty of fluids, especially when working or playing in the sun.
  • Make sure you are taking in more fluid than you are losing.
  • Try to schedule physical outdoor activities for the cooler parts of the day.
  • Drink appropriate sports drinks to help maintain electrolyte balance.
  • For infants and young children, solutions like Pedialyte will help maintain electrolyte balance during illness or heat exposure. Do not try to make fluid and salt solutions at home for children." 
Yikes. Oh there's more. Here:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1742-7843.2007.00053.x/abstract;jsessionid=E6048CB10B8230E2340632FA7161977F.d03t02

and here:
http://ajph.aphapublications.org/cgi/content/full/97/4/667?view=long&pmid=17329656

So, please be smart in the heat. Make good choices and stay hydrated. 



Merciless cute kid photos to drive my point home. :)

1 comment:

  1. Out of curiosity I weighed myself yesterday before I started working out side. It's hot as blazes here too. I drank a 20 oz. glass of water on my breaks which were roughly an hour apart. I still lost 4.6 pounds in water weight. It's hot....drink water!

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.