Wednesday 4 May 2011

More Baby Pictures and a story

Today was a crappy day. I was on the phone with the bank when Blueberry Girl stripped down and pooped on the couch. I was cleaning that when someone knocked on the door delivering frustrating news. Dealing with that when I missed a call from Isaac's doctor. I left the meat on the counter to thaw yesterday the forgot about it and found it today spoiled. The cats decided to decorate the back step with their gift (a dead muskrat)....and it kept on like this. Then a friend visited and that was nice. When Chad come home though and it was time to run Lil'Bug to church for youth group, I was fried. Chad said Poppy looked like she was in labour and I jumped at the chance to take a walk and check on her. 

I grabbed my camera.

She greeted me and I pet her nose. I asked her if it was really time and she turned around and showed me her backside. Then she laid down.....

 
Then I got to see something I've never seen before live. 


 That's right. Not even one of my three children. Yes, that makes me really sad when I think about it.


I was a little scared at first. The lamb was just laying there. Then Poppy started licking her face.


And soon she was up and nursing.  And wobbling around. No name yet.


Poppy is the matriarch of our flock. She's not the oldest but she's an aggressive eater and leader.


And she's a really good mama. We have 4 ewe lambs now. 3 of them are white with masks and spots.

5 comments:

  1. So exciting! What a darling lamb. She looks like a Jacob lamb with that colouring! Will be interesting to see how her fleece comes out with Poppy's genetics combined with the Icelandic dad. Looks like a big one too! Yay for Poppy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing. So lucky to have watched something like that. I'm jealous but happy for you!

    All your lambs look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a little cutie! I got to see horses born when I was a kid. You know in your head that it's a natural normal thing, but it is still incredible to actually see it happen. Congrats on the new baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so amazing! What a neat thing to experience. The baby is so cute! Do you raise them for wool?

    ReplyDelete
  5. None of these ladies will be eaten, but ultimately we'll be selling the wool and meat lambs.

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.