Friday 15 October 2010

Dreaming of a White Christmas




If anyone ever asks....there is a downside to buying in bulk. This is what 50 lbs of local bread flour looks like after a "flour party".  I had a student freak out about an assignment revision and had to take a 10 minute phone call.....the girls called up the stairs and ask if they can have....I heard....a "flower party!" Sigh. What was I thinking?

I was in shock. I came down to find them slip n' sliding through three rooms, giggling maniacally, and I just scooped them up and stuck them in a bath. After about five minutes I realized that water + flour= glue, but it was too late. Their scalps and hair were solid flour glue. That was really quite punishment enough. 5 lather and rinses later, it just stung and their hair was breaking off. (The next day I got some cradle cap conditioner, left it in for 30 minutes, and used a lice comb to get the bits out. It worked, but they were really in tears by that point.) Oh and then they thought it was funny to flood the bathroom floor. On a roll, my girls.

The night of the flour party, Chad got home and talked to each girl. They in turn apologized and helped clean up, but we still have flour on everything, two incapacitated-until-we-clean-them vacuum cleaners, and did I mention flour dust on EVERYTHING? They also dumped out my yeast jar in an attempt to make couch bread.

Oh, and I had just cleaned the downstairs to "company is coming" clean (note the video shelf organized?).....because we had company coming. Luckily they were understanding enough, delayed a day, and we had time to vacuum 50 more times. Not like it helped though.

Is it funny? Maybe it will be in a few years. Or maybe they have pushed my sanity past its limit and that's why I am laughing. When my girls do something, they really go BIG.

That said, we might be gluten free for a while. ;)

11 comments:

  1. oh, dear.
    "Oh, d-d-d-d-dear-dear."

    when I saw the couch, I thought, "Lord help us should someone spill some water."

    after some of our doosies this week, I am not laughing, and am only bowing out, looking up, and saying "thank you for sparing me That!".

    maybe I'll laugh tomorrow. but not tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was sure that we weren't the only family that things like happened to. the shortage of proof was leaving me without faith. Thanks for the proof.

    Seriously though, I'm sorry about the mess. it sure looks like they had fun though.

    k-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my GOSH! ACK!!! I'd have DIED! After I cried. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are still writing in complete, intelligible sentences? How???? I just cannot imagine having to deal with something like that. I'm speechless and I bow down before you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! They say never underestimate a child... Now I know why! I have never seen anything like that, I would of been furious! The most I ever did as a child was shake talcom powder on my nans dog every time I visited! X

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband is laughing so hard he's crying....and I can't get over what those ingenious girls did! I'm a total stranger, but I wish I was closer to come help clean up! With my shop vac!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband sent me a link to your post - I think to encourage me that it could be worse at my house!

    Thanks for giving a smile. This is totally something that my children would do! I won't show them the pics or they may get ideas!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear me.

    I think you are a saint, as I would have gone into complete meltdown. There would have been crying, shouting and wailing.

    I don't have your "perspective" on things obviously!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhhhh....the joy those girls surely had "before" consequences came to play.
    Generations will hear about this dear one:)
    I'm afraid I'm with a few other readers, far enough away, I can laugh at the joy ful fun part.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hole-lee crap. I thought the indoor slip and slide was bad. That was just water, a few towels and a fan directed at the wood floor fixed that problem. Also, I wasn't home at the time, so responsibility fell to Papa. But this...This is some serious mischief.

    And we weren't expecting company either.

    My bank account is weeping at the thought of 50 lbs of local flour and a jar of yeast languishing on the floor.

    You are a tough cookie, lady.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lest anyone forget, I was also 8.5 months pregnant!

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.