Wednesday 15 September 2010

Family Farm, Picking Apples

We made apple picking a family effort on weekend. Usually it is just me and the girls, but our wonderful friend Amanda said we could clear her entire, yummy, loaded tree and I needed help with the high branches. We still did not completely clear it and will have to make various trips for windfall soon. Also, not all these apples are for the pigs, as the girls have voted they are the yummiest apples ever. They are also storing amazingly well.

I love that our farm is a family effort. 3 generations working hard here. With many hands it didn't take long to gather three laundry tubs of apples. We'll head out this Saturday as well for our next round of picking. So grateful for these wonderful sources of food for our pigs.

1 comment:

  1. Good times! I just called my brother to see if his ancient, un pruned apple tree was ready. Last year I deemed them, like your daughter said, yum! Best applesauce ever ~

    How did that apple tool/reacher work? Brother has lots out of my reach.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.