Thursday 6 November 2008

Our Dog Hobbit

Hobbit has been a part of our family for almost 8 years. He's the grand pup of my Aunt's dog, my childhood buddy on her farm/ranch. He's an Australian Shepard. He's my baby even if he's really been annoying the last year, with pregnancy and new baby anxiety.

He's sick. Really sick. The vet can't figure out what is wrong with him. 8 weeks ago all his blood tests came back completely normal except for thyroid and he had gained 30 lbs in one year, so we started him on a thyroid medication. Now his thyroid level is perfect and he's lost 20 lbs (in 8 weeks?). And now he's not eating anything. Not even bacon (I thought I'd give it a shot). He's drinking water frantically and peeing bucket loads every hour (no doubt from all the water). He urine is odorless. At first we thought Lil'Bug was spilling water (yes, in the house). It takes a whole bath towel to clean it up. We have him confined to his kennel or the kitchen so we can more easily clean it up. If we let him outside for too long he searches out water accumulation and drinks and drinks and drinks like there s no tomorrow.

I'm worried there might not be. Nothing I found online is promising. Kidney/renal failure, diabetes, food poisoning, ect. He'll starve to death if he refuses to eat. He won't even eat BACON!

We're going back to the vet today. They expect me to get a urine sample. Advice on how to do that is welcome. It's not like I can put a potty seat on a bucket. Gah.

In the meantime, I am praying for answers and for his comfort.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry I have no advice for you but I just wanted to say how sorry I am that your dog is sick. I know how tough it is to watch an animal we love become sick. Especially since they cannot tell us what is wrong. I have a dog, Mally, who I've had for almost 10yrs. I think of her as my first child. When I was pregnant, she developed epilepsy and will have a seizure every 2 months. They are so tough to watch. I hope that the vet can find out what is wrong with Hobbitt soon and he get start to get on the mend. I will keep him in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I;m so sorry to hear this :o(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear Hobbit is so sick. Keep me post and let me know if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take a syringe to his puddle and suck up some urine. The fresher the better when you take it in. However, if he is going a lot then they will probably be able to get it in the clinic, so I wouldn't worry about taking it in if you can't get any. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.