Saturday, 6 November 2010

Something is Actually Wrong This Time

The retest on Friday did not come out all happy sunshine like I wanted. I've developed Pre-eclampsia and it is slowing getting worse. Lucky for me and baby, the key word there is slowly, so I am back at home on full bed rest. The only "cure" for this condition is having the baby, but the baby has decided to protest by backing off contractions almost entirely. I have no other symptoms other than higher than normal and increasing BP and protein spilling. No swelling, no headaches. Unless you count frustration over bedrest an actual symptom.

I was relived to find out that the swelling in my toe is merely and infection. Possibly from an ingrown I removed at home, possibly from a splinter I removed from the nailbed, either way it's infected pretty bad. I'm on antibiotics now and "should" start feeling relief Monday or Tuesday.  I was worried edema was starting. Glad it's not that.

Some other thoughts I had....

I looked a lot of resources online about Pre-e and a lot say that it can be prevented by a good diet. Talk about guilt. My my diet is awesome. I take prenatals. I only drank 1 small cup of coffee on occasion (think every other week). Fresh and local eggs and meat and veg. So why do I feel guilty? For the slice of cheesecake? The breakfast pizza from Casey's while doing pork deliveries? I can't imagine that those rare diversions from our normally awesome diet could have caused this? But the thought lingers.

And then regarding salt restriction.....I don't consume a lot of salt. Less than a teaspoon a day.In fact when I make dinner, 4-8 servings will get about that much overall. I use a seasoning salt on our eggs, but for four servings together the eggs get 1/2 or less a teaspoon of the seasoning mix. I use salted butter for somethings. So how to restrict salt intake without eliminating it all together? The reason I am worried about that is many sources I found said restrict, do NOT eliminate, and use sea salt -which we already do. In fact many of those sources said even restricting salt makes problems worse for pregnancy pre-eclampsia, which is the opposite effect it might have on a non pregnant person with high blood pressure. This is because the root causes are different. But I don't have a medical degree, and the Internet is full of good and bad advice and data. So I am frustrated.

Did I mention bedrest is horrible? My girls get lots of extra cuddles, but I feel guilty that Lily makes us breakfast and lunch. I feel awful watching my overwhelmed and overworked husband have to take over the majority of housework when he's already up at 5am, home from work at 6, dinner, and out with evening farm chores until 8-9 only to come in and put the girls to bed.....all while I am in bed or on the couch. He looks like he's about to drop and now he's got a head cold to boot. That is the most horrible part of this whole ordeal, watching my family suffer and feeling completely responsible for it.

So here's to having a baby soon!

2 comments:

  1. I too have had to deal with pre-e and bed rest in precious pregnancies. There are two changes I made that seemed to help some--I drank a lot more water and I completely eliminated cheese from my diet. As far as your diet causing the problem--unless you're eating out all the time or eating really poorly in general I don't think you can account this condition to your food intake. I'm in the 37th week of my 5th pregnancy and this is the first time I haven't been pre-e and I'm thankful for it. I'm still on modified bed rest though...I guess some things are just going to happen no matter how well behaved and well fed we are...Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there dear one. I can't imagine how hard it is keeping a busy farm wife like you down. I heard a song this morning about getting thru tough times, the take away was hang on, it really will be a memory soon.
    Knowing so much good for you and yours.
    Thanks for sharing.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete

A blog about farming, unschooling, feminism, 22q deletion syndrome, cooking real food, homesteading, permaculture, and motherhood.